Human Factors News Monthly Roundup (July, 2022)
Welcome to the Human Factors Cast Monthly News Roundup, a monthly roundup of all news related to Human Factors, Psychology, Design, and Technology as it relates to humans. These stories have been talked about on Human Factors Cast's weekly podcast or have been identified in our weekly news roundups. Want this in your RSS/Feed reader? Grab our RSS Feed here.
This month, we saw many stories come across our desk about Human-AI-Robot teaming, as well as "Communications," which honestly, is a good catch-all category for how we communicate, and disseminate science literacy. We also caught up on some of our HF Healthcare symposium coverage! Yes, we know the physical meeting happened back in March, but the virtual event happened in June! We took our time looking at some of the themes coming out of this year's conference and had a chat with one of the organizers (see below). Let's get into this beefy recap:! But before we do:
Consider joining us on Discord or on any of our social media communities (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) to continue the conversation with the hosts, and an audience of worldwide Human Factors and UX professionals!
International Symposium on Human Factors and Ergonomics in Healthcare Conference Coverage
We had the pleasure of sitting down with Joe Keebler (Chair of the symposium) to chat about this year's event(s), and we deviated from our traditional conference coverage format by expanding on it and talking about the future of Human Factors in Healthcare. We also had several members of our Human Factors Cast Digital Media Lab attend the event and present their observations.
Listen to the interview and check out our full coverage here!
These consist of news stories that we have featured on our weekly podcast. If you are not familiar with the show, we let our Patreons decide which topics we discuss on the show each week from these types of news stories.
Here's what it might be like to travel on a double decker airplane seat
NY State is giving out hundreds of robots as companions for the elderly
Smart textiles sense how their users are moving
Human Factors News
These consist of news stories that we have not covered on the show, but are still worthy of sharing!
Aerospace Systems / Aviation
- Astronauts suffer decades of bone loss from months in space, study reveals
- Toward a Touchless Airport Journey
- Brain-machine interface helped a man with paralysis feed himself using robotic arms
- Synchron says it's the first to implant a human brain-computer interface in the US
Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making
- When More Is More: Identifying Cognitive Impairments with Multiple Drawing Tasks
- Exercise-Induced Central Fatigue—Low Oxygen Supply Clouds Judgment
- We Asked GPT-3 to Write an Academic Paper about Itself—Then We Tried to Get It Published
- ‘Zombie papers’ just won’t die. Retracted papers by notorious fraudster still cited years later
- Friends enjoy being reached out to more than we think
- Social interactions tied to sense of purpose
- The 4 bases of anti-science beliefs – and what to do about them
- Digital Literacy Doesn’t Stop the Spread of Misinformation
- HRH Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman Announces Designs for "The Line," the City of the Future in Neom
- Wearable arm muscles could help overcome upper body injuries
- Dissolving implantable device relieves pain without drugs
- Doctors using AI catch breast cancer more often than either does alone
- Human-like robots may be perceived as having mental states
- Shapeshifting microrobots can brush and floss teeth
- How Robots Can Help Us Act and Feel Younger
- A chess-playing robot broke its seven-year-old opponent's finger
Perception and Performance
- Link between recognizing our voice and feeling in control
- How Society Thinks About Risk
- How robotic pets can help with memory care
- Google will start removing abortion clinic visits from users’ location history
- Gender Bias in Search Algorithms Has Effect on Users, New Study Finds
Surface Transportation / Travel
Usability and System Evaluation
Have a News Story You Would Like to Share?
Have something you would like to share with us? (Feedback or news) Let us know here!