Human Factors News Monthly Roundup (October, 2022)
Welcome to the Human Factors Cast Monthly News Roundup, a monthly roundup of all news related to Human Factors, Psychology, Design, and Technology as it relates to humans. These stories have been talked about on Human Factors Cast's weekly podcast or have been identified in our weekly news roundups. Want this in your RSS/Feed reader? Grab our RSS Feed here.
October was a crazy month. We packed so much into this month from a content perspective that we're desperately looking forward to some breaks near the end of the year. Not only do we have a whole bunch of awesome stories for you, but we also covered HFES this month. If you missed anything from this year's conference, be sure to check out our coverage.
Consider joining us on Discord or on any of our social media communities (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) to continue the conversation with the hosts, and an audience of worldwide Human Factors and UX professionals!
66th Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting
We sat down for a 10 hour livestream on the opening Tuesday of the conference and had a bunch of folks from around the HF world stop by. In this livestream we also had the opportunity to witness the opening plenary session and keynote. This 10 hour livestream was the first of its kind from the conference and we hope to continue this trend in the future!
Listen to our recap episode and check out our full coverage here!
These consist of news stories that we have featured on our weekly podcast. If you are not familiar with the show, we let our Patreons decide which topics we discuss on the show each week from these types of news stories.
Ford drivers could get alerts from nearby pedestrians’ phones
Smartphones Promise Satisfaction and Meaning, Deliver Only More Searching, Study Shows
Stanford exoskeleton walks out into the real world
Human Factors News
These consist of news stories that we have not covered on the show, but are still worthy of sharing!
Aerospace Systems / Aviation
- Wisk Aero reveals its market-ready, self-flying air taxi
- Is traffic noise from flying cars stressful?
- This Flight Simulator Recreates the Worst Part of Flying: Being a Passenger
Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making
- How Much People Write Can Reveal Racial Biases
- Technology that lets us “speak” to our dead relatives has arrived. Are we ready?
- A Broader Definition of Learning Could Help Stimulate Interdisciplinary Research
- Forgetting is natural, but learning how to learn can slow it down
- Designing in Healthcare: Learning through Experience
- Why AI shouldn’t be making life-and-death decisions
- Do humans think computers make fair decisions?
- The road to future AI is paved with trust
- How AI is helping birth digital humans that look and sound just like us
- Get ready for the next generation of AI
- AI is already better at lip reading than we are
- The Most Useful (and Useless) Consumer Robots of the Last Four Decades
- White House unveils its 'blueprint' for an AI Bill of Rights
Perception and Performance
- How People Rate Pizza, Jobs and Relationships Is Surprisingly Predictive of Their Behavior
- AI tools to assist your design and development workflow
- We used to get excited about technology. What happened?
Surface Transportation / Travel
- Poster: Evolution of in-vehicle networks
- Volvo has developed the world's first interior radar system for cars
- Safety Effects of Raising Speed Limits to 75 mph and Higher
- Scientists Propose Putting Giant Googly Eyes on Self-Driving Cars
- Proposed Guidelines for Fixed Objects in the Roadside Design Guide
- Design Guidelines for Mitigating Collisions with Trees and Utility Poles
Have a News Story You Would Like to Share?
Have something you would like to share with us? (Feedback or news) Let us know here!