Human Factors News Monthly Roundup (September, 2022)
Welcome to the Human Factors Cast Monthly News Roundup, a monthly roundup of all news related to Human Factors, Psychology, Design, and Technology as it relates to humans. These stories have been talked about on Human Factors Cast's weekly podcast or have been identified in our weekly news roundups. Want this in your RSS/Feed reader? Grab our RSS Feed here.
Another month of news in the bag! As we wrap up September, we're planning our big HFES LIVE coverage coming up just next week! We'll have guests, announcements, and simulcasts of some of the events on site. Be sure to follow us on all our socials to be alerted when we go live to cover the event. We hope to see some of you there!
Consider joining us on Discord or on any of our social media communities (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) to continue the conversation with the hosts, and an audience of worldwide Human Factors and UX professionals!
These consist of news stories that we have featured on our weekly podcast. If you are not familiar with the show, we let our Patreons decide which topics we discuss on the show each week from these types of news stories.
We may never fully know how video games affect our well-being
Study Finds That Buttons in Cars Are Safer and Quicker to Use Than Touchscreens
The Metaverse Needs Standards, Too
Human Factors News
These consist of news stories that we have not covered on the show, but are still worthy of sharing!
Aerospace Systems / Aviation
- Astronaut Shows How to Perform CPR in Zero Gravity
- New Government Report Is Extremely Bad News for NASA
- Development of a Small Aircraft Runway Length Analysis Tool
- Robots can be used to assess children’s mental wellbeing, study suggests
- Scientists Asked Students to Try to Fool Anti-Cheating Software. They Did.
- What is the best way to group students?
- Study suggests watching TV with your child can help their cognitive development
Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making
- SNAFU: The Air Force Just Survived a Reply-All Apocalypse
- Sharing on Social Media Makes Us Overconfident in Our Knowledge
- Crypto Guy: Desperately Poor People Could Be NPCs in Video Games
- Moral Injury Is an Invisible Epidemic That Affects Millions
- The ups and downs of the UXR job market
- Historian Warns That AI Is Likely to Cause Human Extinction
- Experts: 90% of Online Content Will Be AI-Generated by 2026
- AI has a UX problem
Perception and Performance
- Changing Perceptions about Harm Can Temper Moral Outrage
- What You Know Changes How You See Things
- Even smartest AI models don’t match human visual processing
- Program to increase performance and well-being
- Wearables take ‘logical’ step toward onboard control
- The rise of the TikTok pattern
- This New VR Gadget Looks Like an Actual Torture Device
Surface Transportation / Travel
- Ford drivers could get alerts from nearby pedestrians’ phones
- A Real-Time Proactive Intersection Safety Monitoring and Visualization System Based on Radar Sensor Data
Usability and System Evaluation
- A Taxonomy of Common UX Research Methods
- Evaluation of Three SEQ Variants
- A checklist for prioritising web accessibility
- GIST Scientists Develop Model that Adjusts Videogame Difficulty Based on Player Emotions
- Embracing CX in the metaverse
- Gamers can have their cake and eat it too
Have a News Story You Would Like to Share?
Have something you would like to share with us? (Feedback or news) Let us know here!