Human Factors News Monthly Roundup (June 2022)
Welcome to the Human Factors Cast Monthly News Roundup, a monthly roundup of all news related to Human Factors, Psychology, Design, and Technology as it relates to humans. These stories have been talked about on Human Factors Cast's weekly podcast or have been identified in our weekly news roundups. Want this in your RSS/Feed reader? Grab our RSS Feed here.
We had multiple stories on AI this month, but they both were good companion pieces to each other. In addition to our normal shows, we also held HFES' town hall where we got to hear a bit more about their plans for membership, as well as the Annual Meeting. We even got a stealth announcement that a certain independent Human Factors Media Outlet was going to livestream the event! Stay tuned for more details on that. As if that wasn't enough, June was Pride month! We had some special surprises in store to help explore the crossover of Human Factors and LGBTQIAP+ Communities.
Consider joining us on Discord or on any of our social media communities (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) to continue the conversation with the hosts, and an audience of worldwide Human Factors and UX professionals!
HFES Town Hall
This month, we had the pleasure of hosting yet another HFES Presidential Town Hall!
Check out our coverage where we talk to President Chris Reid, President-Elect Carolyn Sommerich, Tom Albin, and Farzan Sasangohar to discuss upcoming plans for HFES Members, as well as what to expect from this year's Annual Meeting in Atlanta.
Pride Month 2022
To celebrate, Human Factors Cast released four bonus Human Factors Minutes on the intersection of HF/UX/HCI and those traditionally marginalized, as well as a wonderful deep dive into Inclusive Design, specifically for LGBTQIAP+ communities. We donated 100% of our profits from our pride merch and a 30% cut of our Patreon earnings for June to help support these communities through The Trevor Project. And also, just to be cute, we changed our logo, just like every other brand.
For more information, you can read up on all of our Pride 2022 coverage.
These consist of news stories that we have featured on our weekly podcast. If you are not familiar with the show, we let our Patreons decide which topics we discuss on the show each week from these types of news stories.
Construction Safety and Phasing Plans ACRP WebResource 11
Researchers study society’s readiness for AI ethical decision making
Google places an engineer on leave after claiming its AI is sentient
Human Factors News
These consist of news stories that we have not covered on the show, but are still worthy of sharing!
Aerospace Systems / Aviation
- A smart jumpsuit tracks infants' motor development
- Children in remote school faced more sleep, behavior and social challenges
- Mass Shootings Leave Lasting Psychological Wound
Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making
- Managing Performance to Enhance Decision-Making: Making Targets Matter
- New Theory of Decision-Making Seeks To Explain Why Humans Don’t Make Optimal Choices
- Study reveals smaller-than-expected percentage of research in psychology is truly multidisciplinary
- How to spark innovative collaboration on teams
- Mayo Clinic Researchers Pump Up Wearable ECG Functions With AI
- Evaluating brain MRI scans with the help of artificial intelligence
Perception and Performance
- A new model sheds light on how we learn motor skills
- Why people don't view the world the same way others do
Surface Transportation / Travel
- Guide to Implementation of the Toward Zero Deaths National Strategy on Highway Safety
- NHTSA Releases Initial Data on Safety Performance of Advanced Vehicle Technologies
- Bus Rapid Transit: Current State of Practice (Email Required)
Have a News Story You Would Like to Share?
Have something you would like to share with us? (Feedback or news) Let us know here!