Human Factors News Monthly Roundup (August 2021)
We're back with another one of our monthly news roundups!
If you're curious at all as to how we find and sort through this news, join Nick on Twitch for his office hours, every Monday from 1:00PM-2:00PM Pacific, 4:00PM-5:00PM Eastern.
If you haven't already, join us on Slack and Discord or on any of our social media communities (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)!
In Case You Missed It...
Win a Ticket to Neuroergonomics Conference 2021!
We’ve partnered with our friends at Neuroergonomics Conference to bring you an incredible opportunity via a giveaway! Three (3) lucky winners will receive tickets to the 3rd Annual Neuroergonomics Conference held virtually from September 11th - September 16th.
Three random winners will be selected and notified on Thursday September 9th, and will be announced during our live streamed show that evening (Starts at 4:30PM PST).
A Deep Dive into Human Factors and the Olympics
We have a special edition of our deep dive series in honor of the end of the 2020 Olympics.
These consist of news stories that we have featured on our weekly podcast. If you are not familiar with the show, we let our Patreons decide which topics we discuss on the show each week from these types of news stories.
AirCar prototype completes its first inter-city flight
Evaluation of Serious Games for Passenger Education I: Aircraft Safety Information Retention Across Media Types
Women, early-career academics more likely to feel like 'impostors' in disciplines that prize brilliance, study finds
NYUAD Researchers Demonstrate Effectiveness of 3D Visualization as a Learning Tool
Human Factors News
These consist of news stories that we have not covered on the show, but are still worthy of sharing!
Aerospace Systems / Aviation
- FAA proposes more than $500,000 in new fines against unruly airline passengers
- Indian rocket suffers catastrophic failure during launch, Earth-watching satellite lost
- The Space Station Incident was Far Worse than NASA Admitted
- Estimated Accident Risk for BasicMed vs. Medically Certified U.S. Pilots
- Wireless Soft Scalp Electronics and Virtual Reality System for Motor Imagery-Based Brain–Machine Interfaces
- Researchers take step toward next-generation brain-computer interface system
- Tiny Neuralink Rival Wins Race for Approval to Test Brain Implant in Humans
- Youth, the pandemic and a global mental health crisis
- Science-backed tips for maximizing play time with kids
Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making
- Gender, personality influence use of interactive tools online
- Fight-or-flight response is altered in healthy young people who had COVID-19
- Why people snub their friends with their phone
- Trains in the Brain—Scientists Uncover Switching System Used in Information Processing and Memory
- A new model for group decision-making shows how 'followers' can influence the outcome
- New Study Examines Privacy and Security Perceptions of Online Education Proctoring Services
- Assigned classroom seats can promote friendships between dissimilar students, study finds
- AR6 Climate Change 2021: The Physical Science Basis
- 'Why you gotta be so rude?' Study highlights 'vicious cycle' of workplace incivility
- Turning cameras off during virtual meetings can reduce fatigue
- Think leisure is a waste? That may not bode well for your mental health
- Tailoring wearable technology and telehealth in treating Parkinson’s disease
- Wearable technology can help in at-home assessment of myoclonic jerks
- High-dose gait training with robotic exoskeleton may improve function after acute stroke
- New research finds gender differences in fear and risk perception during COVID-19
- Elon Musk says Tesla is working on humanoid robots
- Law Experts Ponder Whether Sex Robots Should Be Legal
- AI and Robots Are a Minefield of Cognitive Biases
- Remote research methods for Human–AI–Robot Teaming
Perception and Performance
- Parallel and distributed encoding of speech across human auditory cortex
- Problems in thinking and attention linked to COVID-19 infection
- All in Your Head: Exploring Human-Body Communications with Binaural Hearing Aids
- The Olympics without Fans Is Harming Athletes’ Performance
- Unease beyond the uncanny valley: How people react to the same faces
- Online Product Displays Can Shape Your Buying Behavior
- Human Factors and Ergonomics in Manufacturing & Service Industries
- Smart Glasses for Improving Mobility of Low Vision People (Phase Two)
Surface Transportation / Travel
- Millennial Travelers Are More Multimodal than Older Travelers, but This Trend Might Change as They Age
- US Government Investigating Tesla Autopilot for Crashing Into Emergency Vehicles
- The effect of the coronavirus pandemic on public transportation
- Development and Demonstration of an In-Vehicle Lane Departure Warning System using Standard GPS Technology
- Every Car Made After 2027 May Have Drunk Driving Monitoring System
- Resilience Research Becoming a Bigger Part of Transportation Planning
- Investing in Transportation Resilience: A Framework for Informed Choices
- Green Waves, Machine Learning, and Predictive Analytics: Making Streets Better for People on Bikes
- The Impact of Smartphone Applications on Trip Routing
- Measuring speed management strategies
- Improving transportation equity
- Facebook gets VR meetings right with Horizon Workrooms
- Tiny Lasers Could Finally Bring Us Really Smart AR Glasses
Weekly News Roundups (July 2021)
- Human Factors Weekly News (08/03/21)
- Human Factors Weekly News (08/10/21)
- Human Factors Weekly News (08/17/21)
- Human Factors Weekly News (08/24/21)
- Human Factors Weekly News (08/31/21)