Human Factors News Monthly Roundup (November, 2022)
Welcome to the Human Factors Cast Monthly News Roundup, a monthly roundup of all news related to Human Factors, Psychology, Design, and Technology as it relates to humans. These stories have been talked about on Human Factors Cast's weekly podcast or have been identified in our weekly news roundups. Want this in your RSS/Feed reader? Grab our RSS Feed here.
While October was a crazy month, November was a nice needed reprieve. We took some much needed breaks this month to make up for everything we put out last month. Not too many surprises here, so check out what happened in November below.
Consider joining us on Discord or on any of our social media communities (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) to continue the conversation with the hosts, and an audience of worldwide Human Factors and UX professionals!
These consist of news stories that we have featured on our weekly podcast. If you are not familiar with the show, we let our Patreons decide which topics we discuss on the show each week from these types of news stories.
Technology that lets us “speak” to our dead relatives has arrived. Are we ready?
New study shows how voting methods affect group decision-making
Human Factors News
These consist of news stories that we have not covered on the show, but are still worthy of sharing!
Aerospace Systems / Aviation
- Here’s All the Science Hitching a Ride on Artemis I
- We Need to Change the System That Keeps Pilots from Seeking Mental Health Care
- The Future of Aviation
- Passenger Jet Flies Over Launchpad Right as SpaceX Rocket Takes Off
- The right to defend our autonomy against automated decision systems
- Framework for Assessing Potential Safety Impacts of Automated Driving Systems
Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making
- Erratum to “Team Cognition in Handoffs: Relating System Factors, Team Cognition Functions and Outcomes in Two Handoff Processes”
- The Best AI Tools to Help You Work and Create
- China just announced a new social credit law. Here’s what it means.
- Patient Safety Incident Response Framework
- Lack of computer access linked to poorer mental health in young people during COVID-19 pandemic
- Study analyzing often-overlooked racial/ethnic groups provides a new understanding of pain disparities in the U.S.
- Safety 1 to Safety 2 White Paper
- Tracking trust in human-robot work interactions
- AI Helps Humans Level Up
- Mid (user) journey: the UX of AI-generated art
- Facebook Takes Down AI That Churns Out Fake Academic Papers After Widespread Criticism
Perception and Performance
- Estimation of Subjectively Reported Trust, Mental Workload, and Situation Awareness Using Unobtrusive Measures
- U.S. political partisanship affects first impressions of faces
- Political events impact sleep, new research suggests
Surface Transportation / Travel
- Guide for Roadway Cross Section Reallocation
- Motorcycle Crashes into Traffic Barriers: Factors Related to Serious and Fatal Injuries
- Police Investigating Deadly Accident In Which Tesla Plowed Into Multiple People
- E-Ticketing: The Fast Lane in Highway Construction Technology
- Developing Employer-Based Behavioral Traffic Safety Programs for Drivers in the Workplace
Usability and System Evaluation
- Can UX Metrics Predict Future Grocery Purchases?
- Redefining the relationship between product, users, and tests
Have a News Story You Would Like to Share?
Have something you would like to share with us? (Feedback or news) Let us know here!