Human Factors News Monthly Roundup (May 2022)
Welcome to the Human Factors Cast Monthly News Roundup, a monthly roundup of all news related to Human Factors, Psychology, Design, and Technology as it relates to humans. These stories have been talked about on Human Factors Cast'sweekly podcast or have been identified in our weekly news roundups. Want this in your RSS/Feed reader? Grab our RSS Feed here.
This month was full of a ton of fun stories that we had a blast talking about. In addition to our normal shows, we also had a chance to sit down and cover EHF2022. We also tried a something different this time by capturing some of the stories/articles we found behind paywalls. Let us know if you like this approach! We're constantly evaluating new ways to make these news roundups useful for the community.
Consider joining us on Discord or on any of our social media communities (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) to continue the conversation with the hosts, and an audience of worldwide Human Factors and UX professionals!
Ergonomics and Human Factors Conference 2022 Recap
Check out our coverage where we talk to President-Elect of CIEHF Barry Kirby (We know that guy!), to discuss latest Ergonomics and Human Factors Conference from the Chartered Institute of Ergonomics and Human Factors.
- Podcast Link
- Our Patrons get access to the full interviews featured towards the end of this bonus episode. If you find value in the content we produce, would you spend the equivalent of buying us one coffee a month by becoming a patron?
These consist of news stories that we have featured on our weekly podcast. If you are not familiar with the show, we let our Patreons decide which topics we discuss on the show each week from these types of news stories.
Humanity’s broken risk perception is reversing global progress in a ‘spiral of self-destruction’, finds new UN report
From Butcher Bots to Robo Burger Flippers: 6 Ways the Food Industry's Turning to Tech in 2022
VR Researchers Have Basically Figured Out How to Simulate the Feel of Kisses
Human Factors News
These consist of news stories that we have not covered on the show, but are still worthy of sharing!
Aerospace Systems / Aviation
- The curse of the toilet continues! Bathroom broke during tourists' stay on ISS
- Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Gets Sick
- (Paywalled) Older Adult Patients and Care Partners as Knowledge Brokers in Fragmented Health Care
- (Paywalled) Effects of Social Media Self-Efficacy on Informational Use, Loneliness, and Self-Esteem of Older Adults
- (Paywalled) Integrating Transparency, Trust, and Acceptance: The Intelligent Systems Technology Model (ISTAM)
Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making
- Brainstorming on Zoom Hampers Creativity
- (Paywalled) Design Thinking Framework for Integration of Transparency Measures in Time-Critical Decision Support
- (Paywalled) Model-Based Decision Support System for Improving Emergency Response
- Does Presenting Credibility Labels of Journalistic Sources Affect News Consumption? New Study Finds Limited Effects
- In-person socialization down, but social media isn't to blame, researcher says
- (Paywalled) Viewership Motivations of Live Game Streaming Via Over-the-Top Apps: Measurement Scale Development and Validation
- (Paywalled) A Typology for the Application of Team Coordination Dynamics Across Increasing Levels of Dynamic Complexity
- (Paywalled) The Role of Platform Brand in the Association Between Social Media Use, Stress and Educational Attainment
- Apple, Google and Microsoft team up on passwordless logins
- (Paywalled) The Importance of Security Matters for Quality of Experience in Mobile Web Context
- IEEE Spectrum has New Courses on Technical Standards Used in Aerospace and Defense
- (Paywalled) Recovery of Cognitive Performance Following Multi-Stressor Military Training
- (Paywalled) Cervical Spine Motion Requirements From Night Vision Goggles May Play a Greater Role in Chronic Neck Pain than Helmet Mass Properties
- (Paywalled) Perceived Discomfort, Neck Kinematics, and Muscular Activity During Smartphone Usage: A Comparative Study
- (Paywalled) Determining Ergonomic Risks Arising from the Use of Information Technologies in the Covid-19 Environment
- Coaching Program Reduces Burnout Among Resident Physicians
- (Paywalled) Does Computer-Mediated Communication Competence Enrich Social Capital? The Mediating Role of Social Networks Sites
- (Paywalled) mHealth Adoption Among Older Chinese Adults: A Conceptual Model With Design Suggestions
- (Paywalled) Manually Acquiring Targets From Multiple Viewpoints Using Video Feedback
- (Paywalled) Quantifying Workload and Stress in Intensive Care Unit Nurses: Preliminary Evaluation Using Continuous Eye-Tracking
- (Paywalled) Workarounds in the Shadow System: An Ethnographic Study of Requirements for Documentation and Cooperation in a Clinical Advisory Center
- Skeletonics demonstrated the Arrive, a 3-meter-tall exoskeleton suit
- Perceptron: AI bias can arise from annotation instructions
- DeepMind’s new AI can perform over 600 tasks, from playing games to controlling robots
- A quick guide to the most important AI law you’ve never heard of
- (Paywalled) Towards Responsible AI: A Design Space Exploration of Human-Centered Artificial Intelligence User Interfaces to Investigate Fairness
- (Paywalled) Bidirectional Communications in Human-Agent Teaming: The Effects of Communication Style and Feedback
- Experts Alarmed by Zoom’s Tech for Detecting Users’ Emotions
- (Paywalled) Haptic Zoom: An Interaction Model for Desktop Haptic Devices with Limited Workspace
Perception and Performance
- How we perceive crowds
- (Paywalled) Modality Changes in Vigilance Displays: Further Evidence of Supramodal Resource Depletion in Vigilance
- (Paywalled) A Window Into the Tired Brain: Neurophysiological Dynamics of Visuospatial Working Memory Under Fatigue
- (Paywalled) Influence Mechanism of Implementation Intentions from the Perspective of Time and Space in Mobile Shopping
- (Paywalled) Gamification Aspects of Fitness Apps: Implications of mHealth for Physical Activities
- (Paywalled) Why Do People Abandon Activity Trackers? The Role of User Diversity in Discontinued Use
- New options for removing your personally identifiable information from [Google] Search
- These AI-powered watchdogs are here to keep your workplace workers safe(r)
Surface Transportation / Travel
- Design Guidelines for Test Level 3 through Test Level 5 Roadside Barrier Systems Placed on Mechanically Stabilized Earth Retaining Walls
- It will soon be easy for self-driving cars to hide in plain sight. We shouldn’t let them.
- Construction Safety and Phasing Plans
- (Paywalled) Erratum to “Calibration of Trust in Automated Driving: A Matter of Initial Level of Trust and Automated Driving Style?”
- (Paywalled) Guidelines for Treatments to Mitigate Opposite Direction Crashes
- (Paywalled) Testing Senders’ Visual Occlusion Model: Do Operators (Drivers) Really Predict During Visual Occlusion?
- (Paywalled) Misalignment in Semantic User Model Elicitation via Conversational Agents: A Case Study in Navigation Support for Visually Impaired People
Usability and System Evaluation
- Is UX Data Normally Distributed?
- DOJ warns that misuse of algorithmic hiring tools could violate accessibility laws
- (Paywalled) Science Gamers, Citizen Scientists, and Dabblers: Characterizing Player Engagement in Two Citizen Science Games
- (Paywalled) Interactions in Sociotechnical Systems: Achieving Balance in the Use of an Augmented Reality Mobile Application
- (Paywalled) An Attentive Blank Stare Under Simulator-induced Spatial Disorientation Events
Have a News Story You Would Like to Share?
Have something you would like to share with us? (Feedback or news) Let us know here!