Human Factors News Monthly Roundup (May 2021)
Hey everyone, here are the Human Factors News stories we've found throughout the month. as a reminder, our two categories of news stories:
- Top News- These consist of news stories that we have featured on our weekly podcast. If you are not familiar with the show, we let our Patreons decide which topics we discuss on the show from these types of news stories.
- Human Factors News - These consist of news stories that we have not covered on the show, but are still worthy of sharing!
If you're curious at all as to how we find and sort through this news, join Nick on Twitch for his office hours, every Tuesday from 11:00AM-12:00PM Pacific, 2:00PM-3:00PM Eastern.
Brain Signals Drive Exoskeletons with Therapy
‘Cave Syndrome’ Keeps the Vaccinated in Social Isolation
Virtual Reality Warps Your Sense of time
Human Factors News
Aerospace Systems / Aviation
- An approach to situation awareness (SA) assessment in flight simulation: SA dynamic circulation (SADC) model
- High-performance brain-to-text communication via handwriting
- What would happen if we connected the human brain to a quantum computer?
- Warnings on the dangers of screen time are ill founded, review finds
- How a virtual program may help kids get ready for kindergarten
Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making
- How does the brain flexibly process complex information?
- Study Reveals the Gateway to Conscious Awareness
- Diagnostic accuracy of virtual cognitive assessment and testing: Systematic review and meta‐analysis
- Development of a novel hybrid cognitive model validation framework for implementation under COVID‐19 restrictions
- Our Memory Is Even Better Than Experts Thought
- Untangling Major Societal Issues on the Road to Environmental Health
- The adaptive capacity of public space under COVID‐19: Exploring urban design interventions through a sociotechnical systems approach
- Development of a stakeholder identification and analysis method for human factors integration in work system design interventions – Change Agent Infrastructure
- Flunking COVID-19 Out of Schools: A Systematic Review of Non-Pharmaceutical Interventions to Minimize Novel Coronavirus-2 in Educational Settings
- Why Did It Take a Global Pandemic to Trigger the WFH Revolution?
- Workplace pandemic protocols impact employee behavior outside work
- A novel distance learning ergonomics checklist and risk evaluation methodology: A case of Covid‐19 pandemic
- A heuristic international glimpse at SARS‐CoV‐2 effects on work‐home equilibrium and women
- Integration of human factors/ergonomics in healthcare systems: A giant leap in safety as a key strategy during Covid‐19
- COVID Has Put the World at Risk of Prolonged Grief Disorder
Perception and Performance
- TeethTap: Recognizing Discrete Teeth Gestures Using Motion and Acoustic
Sensing on an Earpiece
- Apple previews powerful software updates designed for people with disabilities
Surface Transportation / Travel
- Effects of installing seat belts on school buses
- Quantifying the impact of traffic estimates on safety analysis
- Study: Drivers who experience shift work sleep disorder are 3x more likely to be involved in a vehicle crash
- What influences traveler decisions?
- Driving habits and patterns of the American public
- Preferences of older bicyclists
- How effective is personal protective equipment for motorcyclists?
Usability and System Evaluation
- Researchers promote usability for everyone, everywhere
- Study: Loot boxes in games are enticing, but they don’t actually manipulate you into spending
- User‐centered development of a worker guidance system for a flexible production line
- Sex bots, virtual friends, VR lovers: tech is changing the way we interact, and not always for the better
- Sacramento using virtual reality training to improve policing, confront bias
- Project Starline: Feel like you're there, together