Human Factors News Monthly Roundup (April 2021)
Hey everyone, at the end of the month we are trying something different by posting a roundup of the Human Factors News stories we've found throughout the month. We feel this will likely serve as a better way to disseminate the news as a monthly roundup. By approaching it this way, we accomplish two goals:
- The content is contained all in one place! We'll even pull in stories shared from members of our Slack and Discord communities so nothing is missed.
- This allows us to share these news stories on our other social platforms (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) to help spread the news to others who may not be a part of the chat communities.
Below you'll find two categories of news stories:
- Our Top News Stories - These consist of news stories that we have featured on our weekly podcast. If you are not familiar with the show, we let our Patreons decide which topics we discuss on the show from these types of news stories.
- Human Factors News - These consist of news stories that we have not covered on the show, but are still worthy of sharing!
If you're curious at all as to how we find and sort through this news, join Nick on Twitch for his office hours, every Tuesday from 11:00AM-12:00PM Pacific, 2:00PM-3:00PM Eastern.
Neuroscientists Unveil Tech for the Vision Impaired: Bionic Eyes, Textured Tablets and More
Facebook’s wearable that uses nerve signals to control AR environments
Researchers demonstrate first human use of high-bandwidth wireless brain-computer interface
Ingenuity’s Chief Pilot Explains How to Fly a Helicopter on Mars
Cybersecurity Report: “Smart Farms” Are Hackable Farms
Human Factors News
- Are Digital Humans the Next Step in Human-Computer Interaction?
- Evaluating the safety of edge lane roads
- Time to regulate AI that interprets human emotions
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) effects on New Jersey supply chains
- Cobots Act Like Puppies to Better Communicate with Humans
- NOVID Tracing App Scans Your Social Circle for COVID-19 Risk
- Expanding access to active transportation
- Determining maintenance schedules of bridges
- Brain Signals Can Drive Exoskeleton Parts Better With Therapy
- 10 big takeaways on the state of the internet in 2021
- The technology acceptance scale: Its Bayesian psychometrics assessed in a factor analysis via Markov chain Monte Carlo models
- A Pandemic Playbook for Transportation Agencies
- Evaluation of an Automatic, Individual Computer-Based Driver Education and Training Program
- Elon Musk's Neuralink scientists are not the first to get a monkey to control a computer with its mind
- Pilot program to offer public transit credits for workers in Boston
- How To Make Autonomous Cars Trustworthy and Free from Cybersecurity Threats
- Are AI Algorithms Playing Fairly with Age, Gender, and Skin Color?
- Statistical prediction of the future impairs episodic encoding of the present
- Our Brain Typically Overlooks This Brilliant Problem-Solving Strategy - People often limit their creativity by continually adding new features to a design rather than removing existing ones
- Humans rely more on algorithms than social influence as a task becomes more difficult
- Varying demands for cognitive control reveals shared neural processes supporting semantic and episodic memory retrieval
- Assessing pedestrian crossing facilities
- The influence of algorithms on political and dating decisions
- Augmented Reality in Retail and Its Impact on Sales
- Mental health, physical symptoms and biomarkers of stress during prolonged exposure to Antarctica's extreme environment
- The effects of environmental, operational, and organizational factors on the usage of and satisfaction with electronic medical records
- Intersection Crash Prediction Methods for the Highway Safety Manual
- Managing work zone traffic impacts
- The Federal Aviation Administration’s Next Generation Air Transportation System
- Robots Versus Toasters: How The Power of Movement Plays Tricks On Human Brains
- Researchers Find Individualized Training Is Key for Autistic Adolescents Learning to Drive
- Videoconferences more exhausting when participants don't feel group belonging
- Objective analysis of stress in the classroom
- Researchers Find New Measure to Predict Stress Resilience
- Our attention is captured by eye-glance
- Ingenuity Helicopter Successfully Makes First Flight On Mars
- Human Factors and Ergonomics and the management of existential threats: A work domain analysis of a COVID‐19 return from lockdown restrictions system
- The effect of arm support and control modes on muscle fatigue, eye fatigue, and posture changes in mobile game use among young adults
- Exerted force estimation using a wearable sensor during manual material handling
- Improving accuracy of gaze‐control tools: Design recommendations for optimum position, sizes, and spacing of interactive objects
- Measuring pedestrian traffic fatalities
- What Exactly Is Your Brain Doing When Reading Code?
- Using rumble strips to prevent crashes
- High-Visibility Enforcement and Seat Belt Use
- Hurricane Evacuation Modeling Package
- Guidelines for Cost-Effective Safety Treatments of Roadside Ditches
- Wearing comfort and perceived heaviness of smart glasses
- LED Roadway Lighting: Impact on Driver Sleep Health and Alertness
- The color red influences investor behavior, financial research reveals
- Attention and working memory: Two sides of the same neural coin?
- Google’s new app automagically organizes your scanned documents
- Redefining what a map can be with new information and AI