Human Factors News Monthly Roundup (February, 2023)
Welcome to the Human Factors Cast Monthly News Roundup, a monthly roundup of all news related to Human Factors, Psychology, Design, and Technology as it relates to humans. These stories have been talked about on Human Factors Cast's weekly podcast or have been identified in our weekly news roundups. Want this in your RSS/Feed reader? Grab our RSS Feed here.
There were some big themes in the news stories this month. New advances in AI, virtual reality, and other areas can have big implications for how we live and work. Diversity and inclusion was another important theme, as is education and learning. We're also seeing more and more stories about human-robot interaction, which can be both exciting and concerning (for some). There's a lot of news, let's get into it! But before we do...
Consider joining us on Discord or on any of our social media communities (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) to continue the conversation with the hosts, and an audience of worldwide Human Factors and UX professionals!
These consist of news stories that we have featured on our weekly podcast. If you are not familiar with the show, we let our Patreons decide which topics we discuss on the show each week from these types of news stories.
Human Factors Minute
How could we not report on this? Our newest series, Human Factors Minute, is out now! Each episode is a mini-crash course in all things related to the field, packed with insights and information in just one minute. Tune in on the 10th, 20th, and last day of every month for a new episode. Check out the trailer here, and subscribe to the podcast to get a regular dose of Human Factors Knowledge!
HFES Town Hall
The first HFES Town hall of 2023 kicked us off with some great information on the latest efforts coming out of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society.
Culture, cognition, and human-computer interaction
Roboticists Want to Give You a Third Arm
Ageism: the last acceptable prejudice
Human Factors News
These consist of news stories that we have not covered on the show, but are still worthy of sharing!
Aerospace Systems / Aviation
- Two decades after the Columbia disaster, is NASA’s safety culture fixed?
- Boeing completes the last ever delivery of the iconic 747 jumbo jet
- Systemic Inequality in the Airport Industry: Exploring the Racial Divide
- A Software Bug Caused Two Alaska Airlines Flights to Suffer Tailstrikes on the Same Morning
- NTSB: Autopilot was not a factor in fatal Tesla Model S crash
- Improving trust in autonomous technology
- UX people will soon have to collaborate with new professions
- How ChatGPT Could Revolutionize Academia
- Approaching AI takeover and how to remain relevant
- Google announces ChatGPT rival Bard, with wider availability in ‘coming weeks’
- Microsoft rolls out Teams Premium with OpenAI-powered features
- 8 Signs That the AI 'Revolution' Is Spinning Out of Control
- Robot: I’m sorry. Human: I don’t care anymore!
- New AI Chatbot Deliberately Trained to Be as Stupid as Possible
- How to create, release, and share generative AI responsibly
- Robot helps students with learning disabilities stay focused
Perception and Performance
- Learning with all your senses: Multimodal enrichment as the optimal learning strategy of the future
- CityU develops wireless, soft e-skin for interactive touch communication in the virtual world
- The DOJ is looking into Tesla's Autopilot and Full Self-Driving claims
- At Theme Parks, You Must Be This Tall—and This Thin—to Ride
Surface Transportation / Travel
Usability and System Evaluation
- Laying the Foundation for Extended Reality
- VR Startup Working on Tech to "Replay" Memories
- Augmented reality headset enables users to see hidden objects
Have a News Story You Would Like to Share?
Have something you would like to share with us? (Feedback or news) Let us know here!